Greetings good gentles, Mary here.
We're getting closer to being able to build the tourney trailer. We're first going to build a portable chicken coop out of the Foamular to get experience working with the stuff. Once that's done we'll move on to the main project.
To get a better idea of the concept of my trailer design, I decided to build a model to 1:6 scale since I have a Ken doll. Scaled up, Ken would be six feet tall, which is how tall Ali is.
I took all the measurements from the SketchUp model I made on the computer and shurnk everything down to 1:6 scale and cut out the pieces for the main body out of foam core board.
Then I pinned all the pieces together to see how it all fit and it was good. I decided I may as well go all the way and paint it and add texture, like the real thing. I took it all apart and started on the floor.
I used popsicle sticks to simulate wood flooring.
I "stained" it by using diluted brown acrylic paint.
While that dried I moved on to the trailer bed. I used black foam core board for that part. I made the wheels out of 3 layers of foam board and the axle out of a large drinking straw. I didn't have any black tape or black paint for the wheels and axle so I used the next best thing that I had, which was dark blue. Next time I'm out I'll have to pick up some black paint and tape so I can go over it.
Then I thought it needed a little more detail so I hunted the internet for the wheel rims and license plate. I found this page http://acme.com/licensemaker/ for the license plate. It was fun making up all kinds of custom plates. I may have to make full sized ones and hang them on my wall. :)
Here's the wheels glued to the bottom of the trailer bed. The comination of paint and Elmer's glue make the paper cover fall off so had to use hot glue to get this to stay together.
Next, I started on the upper walls by cutting and painting popsicle sticks to create the beams seen on the exterior of Tudor style houses. Clothes pins are just the ticket for "clamping" this stuf down until it sets up.
I was planning on using some kind of actual stucco texture and it didn't occur to me until after I glued down sticks to the first upper wall that I could just print out a picture of stucco and then glue on the sticks. I did that with all the subsequent exterior walls.
I got excited about the whole thing and decided to put it together to see how it was shaping up. I figured I would finish the exterior later. The floor worked out perfectly. Next time I build one I'll be taking the paper cover off the foam core. The paint and Elmer's glue is so wet that it tends to shrink the paper as it dries, which makes the foam core board curl or the paper come off. I used hot glue on the corbels because I didn't want to pin each one and wait for the Elmer's to dry. I'd use hot glue on the whole thing but it simply cools too quickly and it's hard to reposition things when they go wrong. Elmer's gives me plenty of time.
The door and the roof sections will be next. Look for that in the next post.