Disclaimer: This post may contain affilate links which means that, if you click through and make a purchase, we receive a small commission. This helps to support your fellow SCAdian and all at no extra cost to you.
Use modern amenities, but try to keep them hidden when not in use.
An example is something like this collaspible cloth bin which would be fun to use in camp. Pack and/or store your modern items in this convenient collaspible cloth bin. Could also double as a trash container.
Get rid of as much trash as you can before you go.
Ways of doing this are :
- cracking open eggs into a jar and discarding the shells, at home, before you leave. When you get to the event you can simply pour the eggs that you need, right out of the jar.
- recycling the box from dry food stuffs and putting the contents, along with the cooking directions, into a reusable container.
- pre-cooking Deviled Eggs: Hard boil eggs. Place whites in a reuseable container and the egg yolk mash into a reusable icing cone (the type bakers use). At the event, pipe the mash directly into the whites just before serving.
- pre-cooking pasta and putting into a reusable cntainer. Pour hot sauces on the pasta, on site, and serve. The heat from the sauces is generally hot enough to heat the entire dish.
- peeling and cutting cantaloupe and other melons, at home, and place in into a reusable container.
Bring as many "no-cook" foods as you can.
Nobody wants to slave in the kitchen either cooking or cleaning up when they could be enjoying some other activity!
Some examples of no-cook foods:
- Bread and cheese
- Fruit, fresh or canned
- Cold cooked meat (aka: cold cuts)
- Raw vegetables (sliced, pared etc.) maybe with a dip
- Deli or take out food (stews, chickens etc.)
- Salads (green, macaroni or potato)
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pickles, olives, antipasto
- Cakes, cookies, other baked goods, etc.
Check out this list of really good tips at Current Middle Ages